When I found this extremely warm and soft plaid wool in the red tag section of Joann's and knew it was destined to be a skirt! I actually completed it for Veteran's Day (Nov 11) so I could have something red, white, and blue to wear for our school concert. However, I ended up wearing my long coat for our entire concert because it was OUTSIDE IN A BLIZZARD!  That's right, my awesome students sang outside for a Veterans Day concert in a blizzard - they are troopers. I still can't feel my fingers.... jk.




Here are the details:

Pattern: Gertie's Book for Better Sewing - Pencil Skirt

Size: 8 (waist) graded to 10 (hips)

* I was shocked to see there was only one size difference between my normal waist and hip measurement for Gertie's size chart - that makes things oh so much easier :)

My Shape: Tall (6'0), pear shape, narrow shoulders, long torso

Fabric: Plaid Wool, Navy/White/Red - Joann Fabrics

Size Alterations:

- Took in a little more at the waist, in addition to grading

Design Changes:

- Left off the waistband - serged, turned, and topstitched waist edge
- Added large BOW to the front (attached with safety pins, in case a non-bow skirt is needed ;)
- Removed several inches (at least 6) from the hem - this skirt is definitely drafted to be calf length!

Construction Notes:

- Stitched then serged all seams
- This fabric was very easy to sew with, and hides many mistakes, but the only thing I could use to mark darts, etc that would show up was a metallic silver sharpie! Probably not the best... lol
- Used invisible zipper in the center back


**IN OTHER NEWS** I am taking part in an awesome campaign called Dressember! I will be wearing a dress EVERY DAY for the entire month of December to raise awareness and funds to support the work of International Justice Mission, a human rights agency that is bringing rescue and freedom to victims of slavery, sex trafficking and other forms of violence. I have personally pledged to raise $500 for the cause, and already have $75! You can donate to support this awesome mission HERE - it only takes one minute. If everyone who follows this blog donated just $1, we could definitely make the $500 pledge! Any amount is appreciated! You can follow my dress documentation on Twitter or Instagram! I hope to have some new self-made dresses to show you this month to go along with campaign :) Thank you so much for your support!